Thursday, December 30, 2010

CHRISTMAS AND CHRISTMAS WEEK

Monks in choir

First vespers of Christmas on December 24, 2010

The sanctuary in the basilica for midnight Mass

Preparing for midnight Mass on Christmas

This year was quite different from last year at Christmas. Last year we had a blizzard on Christmas eve and most of Christmas day. Only a few people were able to come to midnight Mass. This year the church was fairly well filled for the midnight Mass. We had first vespers of Christmas at 4:45 PM on Christmas eve. The monastic community then enjoyed a nice Christmas meal at 6:00 PM. At 7:45 PM we prayed vigils and then at midnight celebrated Mass.

On Christmas day we rise and have breakfast anytime before 9:00 AM. At nine we pray Lauds and then all gather in the St. Stephen Health Center as the residents there open their gifts. Then at 11:00 AM we celebrate the third Mass of Christmas.

This year I had to go to the doctor on the morning of December 24. My right foot was swollen and was very sore, for no apparent reason. The first thing the doctor did was check to make sure I did not have a blood clot. Thank God I did not. They told me I would have to be admitted to the hospital if they found a blood clot. So the doctor concluded it was gout, which I have had before, but never like this. He gave me medicine and I was able to concelebrate at the midnight Mass and then on Christmas afternoon to travel to Kansas City. I was assigned to celebrate two Masses at St. Patrick's Parish in Kansas City, North on Sunday morning.

I spent Christmas evening with my brother and his wife and their entire family which was gathered at my nephew and his wife's house -- Steve and Mary Reichert. It was so enjoyable to be able to see the entire family of this brother. Those grandnephews and nieces just grow up so fast. Those who were just kids, are now young ladies and young men.

It has been a custom to have a New Year's retreat here at the Abbey for people who want to get away at this time of year. The retreat this year will be on "Mary, Woman of Faith." Conferences are being given by Brother Placid, Karen Ceckowski and myself. My conference will be based upon the wedding feast at Cana and especially on Mary's words: "Do whatever he tells you." The retreat begins Thursday evening and will conclude Saturday morning on New Year's day.

I want to wish each of you a very Happy and Blessed New Year. May God continue to bless you and your family.

Fr. Kenneth

All the pictures used in this blog were taken by Brother Paul, O.S.B. To see more pictures from Christmas time go to the Conception Abbey web site. Simply click on it up above this blog and then click on "picture gallery" posted at the top of the web page.

No comments: