Monday, March 16, 2009

TEN YEARS AGO TODAY

The high altar in the basilica before 1965

The main altar in the basilica from about 1965
until the renovation completed in 1999


Ten years ago today we completed the renovation of the Basilica here at Conception Abbey. It was a great day and one we all certainly remember. We had been out of the basilica for four years during the renovation so it was exciting to be able to start using it again and praying there. I thought I would put a few pictures on my blog here from that day.


Interior of the basilica after the
renovation completed in March, 1999



Tower Topics heading for spring, 1999 and at the
bottom a picture of the Abbots and Bishops present
for that day (about 50 of them) and of Bishop
Boland celebrating the Mass after the dedication
of the altar.

2 comments:

John said...

Congratulations. Monastic history is a treasure that needs to be preserved. I enjoyed reading the article.

monk said...

Lovely blog/site. I really enjoye dit and sent it to my interdenominational list for monastic subjects and practices, contemplation, hesychasm, info, news. We have about 45 members (bishops, priests, religious, hermits..). I've been a hermit for more than 40 years.
I suppose you know the lovely blogs from a listmember - an English Benedictine who is Superior of a monastery in Peru:Fr David Byrd. http://fatherdavidbirdosb.blogspot.com/

Ioannes (hermit)

http://groups.yahoo.com.group/monasterion