Saturday, August 16, 2014

Liver today for dinner. I love it.

It seems as though there are many who do not like liver today. When I was growing up on the farm the only time we got liver was when we butchered and we looked forward to having fresh liver that evening.  My mother would fry it with onions and then make a delightful gravy and then make real corn bread and how I liked to put that gravy and liver on the corn bread for a delightful meal.  O well, that was years ago but I still like liver and we do have it here at Norfolk now and then.  I usually eat the noon meal with the Sisters and then make my own meal for the evening. People have been giving me fresh tomatoes and sweet corn so it has been good eating at this time of the year.  I also have been buying fresh fruit at the grocery store -- strawberries, peaches, blue berries, plumes etc.  Good eating at this time of the year.

These days are auction days at Conception Abbey.  After all the cleaning out of the monastery in preparation for the renovation, there are three days of selling things that will not be going back into the monastery.  Hope they get rid of most of the things.  Good to have the sale before the students return. 

I have not been doing much traveling recently.  There have been a couple changes in schedule so I have stayed here even on my days off.  I did finally sign up for AAA, so I can call them if I am out on the road and have a flat tire or car trouble.  I honestly don't think I could change a tire today.  I have changed many of them in my life, but I kind of doubt that I could get the job done now so I thought I should sign up for AAA so I can call for help.

This coming Wednesday, August 20, I will be going to Humphrey, Nebraska for a 4th degree Knights of Columbus meeting.  I am now the chaplain for the 4th degree Knights in this area.  Most of the time we meet in Norfolk, but during the summer especially meetings are held in the various towns in the area.  

Keith Jiron, who now works for the Archdiocese of Omaha will be in Norfolk this coming Tuesday so we are planning to have lunch together.  Keith was a seminarian some years ago and then he worked for us at Conception as admissions director for a few years. He and his wife, Kate, now have four children -- all boys.  I haven't seen Keith for some time so am looking forward to seeing him.  

Pictured above are the two new novices who entered the novitiate at Conception on August 14.  Pictured with Abbot Gregory are Novice Eric on the left and Novice Joseph on the right.  We thank God for the new and younger members seeking to join our community.  Please keep them in prayer.

This is a picture of the old altar in the parish where I grew up -- St. Boniface Church at Brunswick, MO.  All that beautiful work is wood so it certainly took a lot of work.  This is where I celebrated my first solemn Mass in 1959 -- at the old altar above and in Latin. Now of course the newer smaller altar is used for Mass.  I served many Masses at this older altar when I was young.  I think I started serving when I was in the third grade.  

So much for now, let us all continue to pray for one another.  



No comments: