Sunday, August 31, 2014

NEWS FROM NORFOLK

It's time to write from my assignment at Norfolk again.  The past week or so we have had quite a bit of rain.  And we have had a lot of cloudy weather and a lot of humid weather.  Tomorrow already is the first of September and Labor Day so I suppose we will soon see the beginning fall.  Fall is a beautiful time of the year but we all know that winter follows soon after.  One morning it started raining during morning prayer and by noon we had received about 3 1/2 inches of rain.  The next night I didn't hear a thing but the rain gauge indicated almost another four inches of rain.  I hope the rivers south of here are not flooding.  All that water ends up in the Missouri river.

This past week another monk died at Conception Abbey.  Brother George Strohmeyer died at the age of 92.  In his last years, living in our infirmary at the abbey, he spent much of his time making rosaries.  I think we have enough rosaries to give them away for a long time.  
Brother George originally was a member of Corpus Christi Abbey in Texas but when that abbey was closed he transferred to Conception Abbey.  Now he is in the heavenly kingdom.

School has started at Conception with, I believe, about 95 students. Pray for vocations and for the perseverance of those who are in the seminary.  
 Abbot Gregory teaching a scripture course
 Archbishop Jerome Hanus, O.S.B. teaching a religion course.

I have been following the Kansas City Royals very closely. Fortunately they are on television up here and a lot of people in the area follow them.  Of course in Nebraska football is the big thng.  Just about everyone wears red when the Huskers are playing.  Someone even gave me a Husker cap.  The Royals have done well this year but right now seem to have a difficult time getting timely hits.  

It was good to see Keith Jiron when he was in Norfolk a couple weeks ago.  He and his family now live in Omaha.  He will again have to come to Norfolk, I think he said September 17.  So hopefully I will get to see him now and then.
And, keep in mind, that if any of you are up in this area or just going through the area, stop and see me.  It's always good to call first to make sure I am here but I would love to see you.  My phone number here in the house where I live is:  402-371-5657.  I also have a cell phone but do turn it off when I am visiting in the nursing home or celebrating Mass etc.  402-750-9684.  You can always leave a message if I am not home.  As for e-mail I continue to use the Conception e-mail -- kenneth@conception.edu

I am still eating a lot of fresh fruit and sweet corn and tomatoes.  I love this time of year and I can buy peaches, blueberries, raspberries and even black berries.  I put them in the freezer and take them out as I need them.  People have been very good in giving me tomatoes.

Must go for now.  Hope God continues to bless each of you.

Fr. Kenneth

No comments: