Sunday, September 15, 2013

More News from Norfolk, Nebraska

The Sisters here in Norfolk sometimes ask me if I get lonely here by myself.  I tell them that I do indeed miss Conception.  After being at Conception for about 65 years as a student and a monk, of course I miss it.  But, I am adapting.  In so many ways the Sisters have made me feel so welcome and  they welcome me to many of their activities.  I eat two meals a day with them and have many opportunities to share with them.  They encourage me much with their kind words and compliments.  I appreciate all of that.

And I have to say that the staff and residents of the St. Joseph Home, where I also serve as chaplain, have also received me so well. The residents seem to enjoy it when I stop in to see them.  One lady who is 100 years old, expresses her thanks to me again and again for stopping in and when I tell her goodbye, she will say "be sure to stop in again tomorrow."  She is not a Catholic but a very friendly person and her mind still seems to be perfect.  I try to visit all the patients at least a couple times each week.

The weather is now much more like it should be by this time in September.  About three or four days ago I turned off the air-conditioner and have the windows and doors open.  At night especially it gets quite cool.  Makes it hard to get out of bed but I long ago trained myself to get out of bed when the alarm goes off. 

The Sisters had a workshop this weekend.  It was given by two Mercy Sisters, although they go by a different name now.  Sister Pia, the Prioress here, had asked Abbot Marcel for some suggestions for the workshop and he suggested these Sisters.  They were formerly Mercy Sisters but left the order in the early 1970's.  There were eight of them at the time and now they number about 100 Sisters.  They wear a habit and a veil and are now located in Michigan, I believe.

This coming Thursday I plan to drive to Winnebago, NE.  The Sisters here have a mission and school there.  The two priests stationed there are Fr. Daniel Wittrock and Fr. David Korth.  Both are alumni of Conception Seminary College.  One of the Sisters here will go with me since I have never been there before.  

I continue to keep busy, especially in the mornings.  I have one more talk coming up in November when I will speak to the priests at the Norfolk Serra Club "Priests Appreciation Dinner."  

By the way, a week or so ago Archbishop Lucas was in Norfolk and I spoke with him a while.  He is a wonderful person and is very grateful we have a priest from Conception working here in Norfolk.

Conception Abbey and Seminary College
Picture taken from Fr. Paul's Facebook page.


No comments: