Monday, September 30, 2013

Time for an Update

Already another week has gone by and already tomorrow (Tuesday) we enter the month of October.  Fall is here and yet we still have some fairly warm days.  They are predicting some pretty cool weather by the end of this week.

Well, the Kansas City Royals did not make it to the play offs but they sure got my attention this last part of the season.  They had a good year and I just hope they can keep all those young players they have coming along.  So now I guess we can turn our attention to the Chiefs.  They have won their first four games so certainly are off to a good start.  Hopefully that will continue.

This last weekend we had a large group here at the monastery.  The deacon candidates for the Archdiocese of Omaha come up here for their education and formation.  There were about seventy here this past weekend as a new class is beginning and an older class is still going on.  A good thing for me is that one of the deacons serves as deacon at the Sisters Mass on both Saturday and Sunday so they do the preaching. This past Sunday Deacon John Starman was deacon for me.  He is a brother of Sister Ruth Starman from Clyde.  

Yesterday evening on Sunday we had our first deanery meeting since I arrived here.  It was held at the church at Battle Creek which is only about 10-12 miles from Norfolk.  Father Ross Burkhalter is the dean of this deanery.  Ross is an alumnus of Conception.  Father Stan Schmit and Father Greg Carl are also members of this deanery and both are alumni.  After our meeting they evidently have the custom of going out to eat so we all came back to Norfolk and ate at the newly opened Perkins which just opened a week ago.  I love to eat breakfast there any time of the day so that is what I ordered.  The pastor of the parish where we meet pays for the meal.  

I really don't like to drive after dark anymore so I rode over with Father Greg Carl who is the associate pastor here in Norfolk.

The days are getting shorter and the nights longer.  I have started checking out books from the Norfolk Public Library.  They have a lot of large print books and I enjoy reading them very much.  I can also check out books for my kindle from the library.  I am not a big television watcher but do enjoy sports on t.v., the news and a few programs on the history channel.

Hope you are all enjoying the fall weather and I ask God's blessing on each of you.
Immculata Monastery at Norfolk

No comments: