Sunday, March 23, 2014

MORE NEWS FROM NORFOLK, NEBRASKA

To begin with the weather has turned cooler again.  One day it is up in the 70's and then a few days later it is cold again.  March weather I guess and perhaps also for April.  It got down to about 14 degrees last night I think, but at least today it is again sunny and up close to 40 degrees.

This was a week of feasts.  Monday was St. Patrick's day, Wednesday the Solemnity of St Joseph and then Friday the feast of St. Benedict.  Here at Norfolk the Sisters celebrate this feast of St. Benedict as a feast and then on July 11, they celebrate that feast of St. Benedict as a Solemnity.  At Conception we do just the opposite.  But, that is fine.  We still had a nice celebration last Friday and on Friday evening I again went down to the Knights of Columbus fish fry.  Paul Moser (no relation to me as far as I know even though my Grandmother Reichert was a Moser) always buys me a beer and there is nothing better than good fried fish and a cold beer.  Most Fridays during Lent they serve close to 800 people including a lot drive throughs.

The deacon candidates from the Archdiocese of Omaha were here again this weekend for part of their training.  The chancery office had contacted me earlier in the week to ask me to confirm two of the candidates who they found out had never received confirmation.  So after receiving a letter from Archbishop Lucas delegating me to do this, I did it at Mass on Saturday.  While I had confirmed a couple converts while at Brookfield for Holy Week a few years ago, I had never administered the sacrament any other time.  The bishop is of course the regular minister of confirmation.  I am posting a few pictures here.
 Beginning of Mass
 Anointing with chrism
 Imposition of hands
 Anointing with chrism
Prayer after communion and conclusion of Mass.  Two
priests from Omaha concelebrating and Deacon Jim Keating.

I also want to include a picture of the quilt I received last weekend from a group of quilters here for that weekend.  I am proud of it and it is beautiful on my bed.  Thank you to the ladies who made this.  A real work of love.

I have also finally figured out a way to put my Memories that I wrote in 2011 on my blog.  It is easy if you go to my Facebook and connect through there for this. 

No comments: