Tuesday, July 22, 2014

21 YEARS AGO TODAY

It was on July 22, 1993, that I began my fourteen year term as Prior of Conception Abbey.  Abbot Marcel asked me in May of that year to serve as Prior, replacing Father Benedict, so he could go away for graduate school.  He told me that I would begin as Prior on July 22 of that year.  I remember it so well as this date is the feast of St. Mary Magdalene.  For some reason it struck as unusual to begin on this feast day.  But, it actually was a very good day.  St. Mary Magdalene is frequently called the "apostle to the apostles."  She is the first one to see the Risen Jesus and was the one who carried the news of his resurrection to the other apostles.  She was a devoted disciple of Jesus and stayed at the cross until Jesus died and was taken down and put in the tomb. 

Last week we had a rather cool week in most of the Midwest.  This week has brought a big change.  Monday especially was a very hot day with temperatures in the mid to upper 90's and high humidity.  It was so warm that today I started wearing a clergy shirt and collar for my work in the nursing home instead of my habit.  It is air-conditioned over there but most of the residents do not like it to be too cool and the chapel seems to get so warm when we celebrate Mass over there.

As many of you know I am a big baseball fan and especially follow the Kansas City Royals.  Fortunately they are on TV up here so I can watch the games, but have definitely become a little discouraged with them.  I thought this would be their year but right now they are about eight games out of first place and have lost their last four games.  They have some very good pitchers but just don't seem to be able to hit.  O well, it's only a sport.  When I was a kid I was always a fan of the old St. Louis Browns (Kansas City did not have a major league team yet at that time).  The Browns ended up in about last place year after year, but I stuck with them until they were moved to Baltimore and took on a new name. 

I have been enjoying pictures that have been put on Facebook or other sites as they work on the renovation of the monastery at Conception.  It is quite a big task but will be nice when it is completed. Here are some photos posted by Bro. Maximilian.





And how about this picture taken in my living room of the house where I live in Norfolk.
Skipper my dog.  But don't worry he is not a real dog.
Just something I picked up at the white elephant sale at
the local parish this past week.



No comments: