Sunday, July 6, 2014

81 years old and 60 years as a monk

I returned to Norfolk last Thursday, July 3, after spending two weeks on vacation in Missouri.  While in Missouri I celebrated sixty years of being in vows as a Benedictine monk in my home parish, St Boniface at Brunswick, Missouri.  The actual date of my profession of vows was September 8, 1954, but since I could not be there at that time we celebrated it while I was home. On Saturday evening, June 21, our family all got together at my nephew's farm -- Kenny and Julie Reichert's farm. It was a great evening of visiting, eating and, yes, some drinking.  

Then on Sunday morning I celebrated the 10:00 AM Mass at the parish.  The church was filled to capacity and Diane Moser played the organ for the music.  Father Rob Fields, the pastor, concelebrated with me.  After the Mass all went to the Knights of Columbus Hall for a fried chicken dinner.  My thanks go to my family for all they did to prepare for this celebration.  It was much appreciated.  And special thanks to the Knights.

Here are some pictures from the celebration:
Saturday evening:    





From Sunday morning Mass and dinner








It was a wonderful celebration in the parish where I was baptized, made my first communion, was confirmed, served many Masses as a young person, attended all eight years of grade school, celebrated my first solemn Mass etc.  

I also spent some days in Kansas City with my brother Harold.  Last July, about one year ago, his wife of over 61 years died.  So he is still trying to adjust to living alone.  He has three living children and a number of grand children.  He will be 88 years old in December.

So now I am back at Norfolk and still enjoying my work here.  God has been good to me for sure. The card I had printed for this occasion includes this prayer:  "O Lord, you have given me so much, please give me one thing more, a grateful heart."

God bless you all and thank you for all you have done for me.
All photos taken by my nephew Mark Reichert.

Fr. Kenneth

No comments: