Sunday, July 13, 2014

ST, BENEDICT -- JULY 11

This past Friday, July 11, was the Solemnity of St. Benedict, at least here at Immaculata Monastery in Norfolk.  Benedictines have the choice of celebrating the solemnity either on March 21 or on July 11.  The other day then is celebrated as a feast.  At Conception we celebrate March 21 as a solemnity, but here at Norfolk the Sisters celebrate the July 11th day as a solemnity.  We had a beautiful liturgy that day, a special meal at noon and then about 3:30 PM we left for Schuyler, NE to celebrate with the monks there.  After praying vespers we had a delightful dinner and some entertainment. I rode down with a couple of the Sisters from here.

This morning on Sunday, July 13, I celebrated three Masses.  Besides my regular two Masses for the Sisters and the St. Joseph Nursing Home, I celebrated a special Mass at the nursing home at 11:00 AM for the Bergstrom family.  Mildred Bergstrom, who resides at the home, is celebrating her 99th birthday.  The family had asked me to do this some months ago.  After the Mass they invited me to a meal at the Knights of Columbus Hall here in Norfolk.  It was all delightful and an enjoyable day.  

I think I have pretty well finished writing "thank you" notes for my 60th anniversary celebration.  If I missed anyone, I am sorry, and you know I did not omit you on purpose.  Since some did give me monetary gifts I did purchase a Samsung Tablet.  I now have, I guess you could say, another toy to play with, although I do enjoy it for many purposes.  


Here is a picture of the famous pecan at Brunswick, MO, my home town.
It used to be out in the country but is now in this little park located in
the town itself.

I went out and experimented this afternoon with my new tablet 
and took this picture with it.  This is the house where I live.

I think that's about it for this time.  It suddenly has gotten very hot and humid here this afternoon.  Had a little rain and that only made it feel worse.  

God bless you all.
Fr. Kenneth

No comments: